- Monday, Oct. 24:
- Monday was a busy, busy day during lab.
- Our first 3D print finished production (YAY!). The print was the mold for what would become our PDMS “drawers” to house the yeast growth in our “furniture set”. (See Week 9 for the analogy/explanation.)
- The sample of yeast grown to test contamination techniques during Week 9 did not show any signs of contamination. However, the paper, YPD, and yeast were dehydrated. We tried to fix the problem by adding humidity chambers into the petri dish where we had stored the sample. We used paper soaked in water and treated with UV light for decontamination as humidity chambers. Furthermore, we tried using Vaseline as an alternative barrier behind the channels to the clear nail polish. Again, we followed the decontamination protocol from Week 9, since the previous sample showed no signs of contamination.
- Wednesday, Oct. 26:
- We began with a presentation of our updates regarding designs, optimization, and future plans.
- Afterwards, we received notice that the 3D printer had malfunctioned and the “furniture set” would need to be reprinted. We also noticed the humidity chambers from Monday’s
- Meanwhile, we created our PDMS mold from the 3D structure printed Monday. To create the PDMS mixture, we combined curing agent and base in a 1:10 ratio. We poured the mixture into the mold with perafilm in between the two. Finally, we put the structure in a suction for 15 minutes to ensure all air bubbles were removed.
- We also began our third assay, the deodorant based hydrophobic channels. In a petri dish, we put four segments of masking tape where we desired our channels to be. After a series of UV decontamination exposures, we sprayed the inside of the petri dish with clear varnish. After the varnish coat dried, we sprayed deodorant. We exposed the petri dish to UV rays again, removed the tape, applied solid YPD agar into the channels, and inoculated 5 μL of Wild-type yeast into each of the channels. The petri dish will be kept at room temperature until next lab.