The Lab Journal (and the team behind it) proudly presents its first project: The Genetic Modification of Yeast. Here, we document our weekly accomplishments, including procedures, data, interpretations, and resources. Be sure to check in frequently to see our updates and progress.
It’s crazy to think where we started just a few weeks ago. Over the span of this semester, we learned how to transform S. cerevisiae DNA to remove the TEP1 gene, measure growth rates using liquid YPD and a spectrophotometer, optimize paper-based, 3D/PDMS, and deodorant-based analytical devices, and compare growth of different yeast strains. We met … Continue reading Final Post!!
Monday, Nov. 14: With the majority of our assays completed, today was spent giving presentations and quantifying results. The pH 2 YPD agar failed to solidify, so all those results were left inconclusive. pH 4 paper and PDMS assays grew successfully. We calculated the p-values between growth averages of Wild and TEP1d yeast strains at each … Continue reading Week 13
Monday, Nov. 7: After picking up the autoclaved pH 2, 4, 6, and 8 agar, we noticed the pH 2 solution had not solidified. We remade the solution with the same recipe, suspecting human error in the last batch. We continued with the pH 6 and pH8 paper-based analytical devices. We placed two nail polish-backed … Continue reading Week 12
Monday, Oct. 31: Our first task was to try and remove the PDMS mold from the 3D-printed structure we set to dry during Week 10. The parafilm we had used as a barrier between the 3D print and the PDMS failed; some PDMS had seeped through the parafilm and stuck to the mold. We … Continue reading Week 11